Rules & Regulations

Use of unmanned aerial systems is regulated at federal, state, and local levels. Different regulations may apply for recreational, business, and public sector use. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) encourages registration for all drone operators prior to flying (register here). To learn more about UAS regulation, explore the links below.

Federal Regulations

FAA Logo
  • Dedicated UAS page of the FAA. Access summaries and full texts of federal regulations, learn more about becoming a certified UAS pilot (required for commercial use), register your UAS, and request waivers.
Know Before You Fly Logo
  • Know Before You Fly is an informational website maintained by Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) and the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) in partnership with the FAA. Register your UAS systems with the FAA, see FAQs, and learn about federal requirements and operating rules for recreational, commercial, government, and educational use.

State of Idaho Seal

Idaho State Regulations

  • A 2013 Idaho statute limits the use of UAS systems for surveillance without a legal warrant and for photographing or recording individuals without written consent.

University of Idaho Logo

University of Idaho

  • The University of Idaho UAS Committee reviews proposed uses of UAS by university faculty, staff, students, or third parties acting on behalf of the university in order to ensure save and legal operations. The UAS committee also serves as a resource on UAS use and facilitates communication between university programs using UAS. See their website to submit a UAS application to the committee and review federal guidelines most relevant to university use.
  • Please review University of Idaho Policy 43.35, regarding Unmanned Aircraft Systems ("UAS").
  • For questions or help with your application, please contact Compliance Coordinator, Dan LaHann.

Boise State University

Boise State University Logo
  • Boise State University's UAS policy provides guidance on appropriate operation of UAS on university property or by University employees or students. To operate a UAS on university property operators must register their vehicle with Campus Security and Police services and notify them of intent to fly. Faculty, staff, and students interested applying for a federal exemption to use UASs for government functions should consult with the Associate Vice-President for Research.